Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Corrections and Apologies, of a most Sincere Nature
Although, apparently, nobody died, I was all for the Iranian Parliamentarian moves made by the "Reform" Pary of Iran. I thought I knew what was going on. I thought the power of the Guardian Council was simply to veto laws. At least a few times I had seen their powers listed in that abbreviated form. Hundreds of reform minded Representatives lost their seat in Parliament because the Guardian Council also had an absolute power over who can run for office. When the Reformers started speaking out, the Guardian Council simply ended the political careers of hundreds of them..

On the good side, I seriously doubt the Iranian "Reform" Party was listening to me, but that's not the point.

On the good side, we can see the Iranian "Reform" Party as very honest, because they obviously didn't make the decision to act out at that juncture based on the timings of elections. If they had been "smart" (in the US political sense), they would have done something like this right after they were elected, right?

No comments: