Tuesday, May 06, 2008

CNN coverage of Myanmar Cyclone, allegedly 22,000 dead, President Bush Responds

The footage was nearly useless to me, it basically was "inside" one house. For all I really know, that house had been like that for years. If they had, instead, drove while filming out the window, on a road with house after house destroyed, I would have gotten some better sense of the scope.

The "journalist" said he had seen a lot of military convoys, saying, I'm not making this up, "Obviously the government is doing what it can to help."  Obviously? The Karen rebels live in this part of Burma, and have been in nearly non-stop fighting with the Burmese government for sixty years.  Wait! Who is that in the background of the one CNN shot?  Why, it is a member of the Burmese military, hanging around.  I'm sure it is just a coincidence.

President Bush decides to give Aung San Suu Kyi a Gold Medal today ("Great, something else to dust while under house arrest" she may have said in response). And then told Myanmar's government that they'd have to let military teams into Burma in order for us to help. "Look, buddy, you may be suffering and starving, but I'm not going to lift finger one to help without looking after my own interests." (The President, in translation).

An EMT technician, on the scene of an accident "Look, I'd like to help you, but first you are going to have to give me the keys to your house."

No comments: