Thursday, April 28, 2005

That stupid anti-abortion law, Another Look

     Turns out lots of Title 18, the Crimes section of the United States Code, applies to things happening interstate _only_ if it is against the law in one of the two states in question.  Examples include the Mann Act, prohibiting the transportation of people for sex, and the prohibition of transportion of dentures made by unlicensed peoples.  Having given it some thought, I don't like this kind of law. 

     I was looking at the text of the bill, especially the part where it says State X must enforce the laws of State Y

(1) GENERALLY- Except as provided in subsection (b), whoever knowingly transports a minor across a State line, with the intent that such minor obtain an abortion, and thereby in fact abridges the right of a parent under a law requiring parental involvement in a minor's abortion decision, in force in the State where the minor resides, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

     Leaving aside all other issues for now, I racked my brain. What other law is like this?  What law forces people in one State to enforce the laws of another?  Then it hit me.

THE FUGITIVE SLAVE ACT

     Those who don't see the irony haven't been paying attention.

     Look, I'm no expert on all federal laws.  Please tell me I'm wrong.  These christo-fascist dipshits, these political inheritors of the Slavers, who sicken me so constantly, shouldn't be seen quite this badly if there is _ANY_ case which shows it isn't so.

No comments: