Bush, ImperatorWe all know Karl Rove repeatedly links Bush and himself to the teamup of McKinley and Hanna. There may be vain reasons for doing that (probably the most famous campaign manager of the day, ergo, Rove would like to bring it up, being a campaign manager himself) but there are also real parallels, including, but not limited to..
- massive fund-raising, nevertofore seen
- the most bitterly partisan period in US history
- the terrible election of 1888, where the popular winner (whom I like better even than FDR, Stephen Grover Cleveland) was defeated in the Electoral College
- incredible corporate board access to US Congress
- A war, based on lies, trumpeted non-stop as a just cause by the media barons (Hearst, and, early on, Pulitzer)
- A six year long pacification campaign against a people who might someday surrender, but can never forgive the numbers of them we kill to make them free