Thursday, August 18, 2005

In the New Glorious Iraq

     In the new, glorious Iraq, visiting the website of the famous Iraqi bloggers Raed Jarrar and Riverbend can easily lead to arrest, detention and torture.

I made friends with almost everyone there that day, and then I slept, it was a long day, I was so worried about my family, how would I let them know that I wasn’t killed in a car bomb, or kidnapped? I’m sure they don’t expect that I ran away from the house to go party with my friends or join the circus!
and
I wasn’t released till Saturday morning [of the 9th day], after I was forced to sign a paper committing that I wouldn’t tell the families of the arrested people that they are arrested, and that I wouldn’t tell anyone about anything that happened while I was arrested or tell them what I saw inside the jail, and that I would report any case of breaking the law that I know about to the authorities (at this point I laughed and asked: even if someone drove his car through a red traffic light?), and that I wouldn’t visit terrorism websites.

No comments: